Hello, Foodie Souls.
Eid Mubarak to each one of you. It is the time of celebration all over the globe right now and nothing could be better to relish an amazing dessert that is the Kesariya Phirni. Basically, Phirni is a rice pudding from the cuisine of the Indian subcontinent, largely made by boiling rice with milk and sugar; which is on top flavoured with raisins, cardamom, saffron, almonds or pistachio.
Just to let you all know ‘Phirni’ is also known as payesh, payasam, payasa, fereni in other regions of the country. But the essence of having it is the same. So without letting you wait much, let’s get into the recipe.
Ingredients you will need:
- Basmati rice: 2 tbsp
- Water: for soaking the rice
- Milk: 1 litre, full cream
- Sugar: 2-3 tbsp (you can adjust the sweetness according to your taste)
- Condensed Milk: 4-5 tbsp
- Cardamom Powder/Elaichi powder: 1/4 tsp
- Saffron Milk: 2 tbsp
- Rose water/rose essence: 2-3 drops
- Few dry fruits, chopped
- Saffron strands, for garnishing
- Edible silver leaf, for garnishing
- Rose petals, for garnishing
- Firstly soak the basmati rice in water for 30 minutes.
- Strain the water and blend rice to a coarse paste, keep aside. (till you could feel the granules)
- Now, take a large non-stick kadhai and boil 1-litre milk.
- Stir occasionally, and let it simmer for more 10 minutes.
- Keep the flame low and let the milk thicken
- Now add the coarse rice paste.
- Stir continuously, else lumps might form
- Simmer for another 10-15 minutes
- Keep cooking the milk until the rice gets cooked nicely.
- Further, add sugar, condensed milk and the saffron milk
- Mix well till the milk thickens and turns creamy
- Add in the cardamom powder, mix well
- Cook until it’s thick and creamy
- Now, in an earthenware plate pour the phirni, and let it cool at room temperature.
- Once cooled, garnish it with edible silver leaf, pistachio, saffron strands and rose petals
- Refrigerate it for 2 hours before serving.
- Enjoy the amazing Kesariya Phirni with your family and friends.
This would be a great dessert which could be served this festive season, just get hold of all the ingredients and indulge into your cooking mode. I hope you all will give it a try. Do let me know how it would turn out by tagging me on my social media handles or simply comment down below. Your effort would mean a lot to me.
If you want to make a mango phirni, simply add 1/2 cup of mango puree once the above phirni is ready.